Establishment and Basic Information
Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University (MSGSU) is a state university founded in 1982 in Istanbul. Its roots trace back to the establishment of the School of Industry in 1882. As the first higher education institution in Turkey dedicated to art, design, and architecture, it takes pride in nurturing contemporary cultural, artistic, and scientific individuals.
Education and Academic Structure
Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University boasts a broad academic structure comprising 3 faculties, 1 conservatory, 1 vocational school, 1 college, and 3 institutes. Hosting 667 academic staff and 11,685 students, it stands as one of Turkey’s prominent state universities. Undergraduate admissions are determined through the Transition to Higher Education Exam (TYT), the Selection and Placement Test (AYT), and talent exams, while postgraduate admissions follow the university’s regulations.
International Collaborations and Library Services
The university engages in collaboration with a total of 249 universities under the Erasmus+, Farabi, Mevlana agreements, and bilateral protocols. The libraries provide students with an extensive range of resources, including 129,150 books, 8,348 non-book materials, 3,517 rare books, and 110 databases.
Scholarship Opportunities and Campus Life
Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University supports students with scholarships from the Industrial Fine Arts Foundation in addition to the Higher Education Credits and Dormitories Institution (KYK) opportunities. The university’s campuses, located in different districts of Istanbul, host rich cultural and social activities.
Sports Facilities and Accommodation
With sports areas in the Fındıklı and Bomonti campuses, the university offers a wide range of sports facilities. Accommodation is provided through dormitories owned by the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the university’s own dormitory.
Fine Arts Faculty Talent Exams: Stages and Topics
Fine Arts Faculty talent exams vary between universities and departments, typically consisting of several stages. For instance, Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University’s talent exams have two stages (threshold and department exams), while Marmara University’s exams have three stages (threshold, department, and interview/portfolio evaluation).
Fine Arts Faculty Talent Exam Stages:
- Threshold Exam: Usually the first stage, it aims to measure fundamental artistic skills, including visual questions evaluating drawing, design, or artistic abilities.
- Department Exam: Those who pass the threshold exam proceed to the department exam, which includes subject-specific topics. For example, interior design candidates might face questions related to interior space design.
- Interview and Portfolio Evaluation: Some universities, such as Marmara University, include a third stage where candidates are evaluated through interviews and portfolio reviews. This stage aims to assess motivation, artistic vision, and past works.
Topics in Fine Arts Faculty Talent Exams:
Topics can vary between universities and departments. Here are some examples:
- Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University (MSGSU):
- Threshold Exam: Drawing an imaginal composition with three figures – a lady sunbathing on the beach, a man opening a beach umbrella, and a child playing with sand.
- Department Exam (Interior Architecture): Drawing the perspective view of a store where a bag and shoe designer sells products, using a figure.
- Marmara University:
- Threshold and Department Exams: Conceptual or observational questions.
- Interview: Questions related to art, culture, and current affairs.
- Gazi University:
- Exam Question: Depicting the concept of “game” using at least three items from the given list.
These topics aim to assess students’ artistic skills and creativity to determine their suitability for the faculties. During the application process, candidates should focus on these topics and strengthen their portfolios.
Prof. Sinan Niyazioğlu’s Overview of Mimar Sinan Fine Arts Faculty
Our Faculty of Fine Arts, established in 1882 as the School of Industry, holds the distinction of being Turkey’s first art academy. For 141 years, we have contributed to our country’s art and cultural scene. Offering talent exams for departments such as painting, sculpture, photography, graphic design, textile and fashion design, ceramic and glass, stage decorations and costumes, traditional Turkish arts, and art conservation, we also admit students to our undergraduate programs in basic education and postgraduate programs through central exams.
Located in the historical monument building in the Fındıklı district of Istanbul’s Beyoğlu district on the European side, our students not only experience a vibrant artistic environment with art and design exhibitions and workshops organized by our faculty but also attend events such as concerts and recitals organized by our university’s conservatory. They can also participate in symposiums, seminars, presentations, and conferences in the fields of history, culture, literature, art, and design organized by other faculties.
Our faculty aims to provide high-quality education with its recognized and specialized academic staff in the national and international arena. Another crucial focus of education is to extend, reinforce, and develop applied education outside the institution through workshops. Our students have the opportunity to gain professional experience through mandatory or voluntary internships in collaboration with 47 public and private institutions, including art galleries, design offices, advertising agencies, and production companies, as part of our university’s cooperation.
Candidates wishing to pursue degrees in the arts and design fields at our faculty can obtain information about the talent exams, application conditions, and exam schedules by following the announcements section of our official website, msgsu.edu.tr as the Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, I wish all candidates success in their choices of undergraduate programs and professional careers.